Monday, October 12, 2015

Unity Project Day 1

I brushed off a project that has been on my mind for a long while. When I originally started on this project I thought mostly about the look of the environment, where the main character, a ball, would roll around.



I recently got pulled back into thinking about this project, first really reviewing the textures I had started. Like I said, my thoughts initially went to the environment, and how I wanted to make it look.


I already had a scene set up in Unity from long ago, and decided my next step would be to make the ball move and attach a camera. Simple I'm sure, but it's something that's pretty new to me. I've done some C# programming on a fairly recent project, but I want to get more fluent with it (and programming in general).


After spending the weekend at SIEGE, both a session on level design practices and environments (though in UE4-I'm working in Unity) fueled my desire to work on the project. Although I wavered between working on my original plan of programming or working on just making environments, I decided to stick with working on the programming to make some quick and dirty tests.


Though I was surprised to see that I had already set up the movement input, I still reviewed how this was set up since it had been a while. Unity had some tutorials that were exactly catered to what I was doing. Though this is possibly testimony to it being a simple project--I'm okay with that because it is a project as opposed to doing nothing.

These tutorials also covered some good organizational techniques. Outside the tutorials I looked up how to set my grid snap settings. Although I'll need to go over how I have units set still, this will make setting up the world much easier. Both this and gray boxing were hit pretty heavily during the level design panel.  Primarily I reviewed the input for the ball, set up a camera to follow the ball, and set up walls for the ball to stay inside.


The next tutorials in the series cover picking up power items.
I'll hit those up soon, but first I want to go through the process of creating an APK for testing on my phone. After setting up some power items, I am going to create a library of different mini design scenarios and playtest how they feel.









No comments:

Post a Comment